Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Skopje


I arrived last night in the Macedonian capital Skopje. I flew over with the most unpunctual airline in the world, Wizzair, whose cabin crew's manners make Ryanair's look like Virgin Atlantic Upper Class...
Didn't see much last night as thanks to the aforementioned airline I was two hours later arriving. The hostel owner Peter picked me up as arranged from Alexander The Great airport and we rode back over the potholed surface Macedonia have deemed a motorway. I was quite alarmed when he spoke to me and I smelt something worrying, to use a Mike Reidism I suspected he'd been on the turps since lunchtime. After several late breaking moments and taking exits slightly too fast we got to the hostel , I was quite relieved. Hostel is great, typical Eastern European hostel. Clean, friendly and Peter has that essential mix of eccentricism and commitment.
I was a little late for breakfast this morning, when I came down I was told " only spinich and cheese are left". No one's ever said that to me at breakfast before!

No comments:

Post a Comment